It’s not so ruff if you follow the steps! Thankfully, the Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s Animal Quarantine Page offers a handy Checklist to make sure your pet meets the “Direct Airport Release & 5 Day or Less Program.” You can find the full checklist starting on PAGE 9. It’s important to be diligent and adhere to the checklist. Failing to meet the guidelines will require up to a 120 day pet quarantine. Now, that’s ruff!
Below is a brief summary of Steps 1-5 of the Checklist. However, please refer only to the DOA’s official checklist for exact criteria. We are not a qualified to assess you pet’s quarantine status.
Step 1 Planning Your Pet’s Arrival
- Every dog or cat must meet the requirements listed on this Checklist and all required documents must be received by the Animal Quarantine Station (AQS) 10 days or more before the intended date of arrival for Direct Airport Release (DAR) in Honolulu.
Step 2 Microchip Your Pet
- Your dog or cat must have an electronic microchip implanted before the FAVN rabies antibody blood test is performed). Any pet that cannot be identified by scanning the microchip will not qualify for either Direct Airport Release or the 5 Day Or Less quarantine and will be assigned to 120 days quarantine.
Step 3 Rabies Vaccine for Your Pet
- Two rabies vaccinations are required. The pet’s most recent rabies vaccination must not be expired when your pet arrives in Hawaii. If arrival in Hawaii occurs before 30 days has elapsed from the most recent rabies vaccination, the animal is subject to quarantine until the 30 days are completed.
Step 4 FAVN Rabies Antibody Test
- Do the FAVN Rabies Antibody Test.
- Have the test done at an approved lab (Auburn University (AU), Kansas State University (KSU) or the DOD Food Analysis and Diagnostic Laboratory in Texas(DOD).
- The result of the dog’s or cat’s blood test must be greater than or equal to 0.5 IU/ml.
- Obtain a copy of this successful blood test result from your veterinarian showing the pet’s microchip number for your records.
Step 5 Waiting Period Prior to Your Pet’s Arrival to Hawaii
- Following a successful FAVN Rabies Antibody test result, animals must wait at least 30 days before arriving in Hawaii. If arrival occurs before 30 days has elapsed, the animal is subject to quarantine until 30 days are completed.
- The waiting period begins the day after AU, KSU or DOD received the blood sample for the OIE-FAVN test. The test must also have a result > 0.5 IU/ml.
- WARNING! Arriving before the 30-day waiting period has elapsed will result in disqualification of a pet from the 5 Day Or Less quarantine program and direct airport release. All pets arriving before the eligible date of entry will be quarantined and assessed $14.30 each day in addition to the $244.00 program fee. There are no exceptions.
For more and Steps 6-8 that contain a full explanation of documents required, Direct Airport Release process, and the fees associated with you pet’s quarantine as you PCS to Hawaii, refer to the Checklist and the Animal Quarantine Information Page. Check out our PCS to Hawaii page for more information on other topics like schools, neighborhoods, recreation activities, and more.
Then contact us to utilize your VA home loan benefits. That’s right! Purchase a Hawaii home for you and your pet(s) with no down payment required! Call us at 808-792-4251 or fill out the secure online loan application.