If you need to sell your home and are unable to get enough money from the sale to pay off the existing loan on the home and you have no other way to pay off the loan, the VA can issue a payment for the difference. This is called a VA compromise claim. When a VA compromise claim is issued, you will still be liable for the amount of money the VA paid on the claim, however, the compromise claim payment is usually much less than what you would have lost if the sale of your home had fallen through or if your property had been foreclosed on.